Some places of interest
Ayr Old Parish Church 1652-4
Theophilius Rankeine
Entered through the narrow Kirkport from the High Street
through a group of 19th century restored house through a
massive gateway dating from 1656. The interior is of high
Landranger 70 ref339219
Ayr Auld Kirk
Alloway Auld Kirk
Alloway old Kirk 1516 was a ruin in Burns day
and through its window Tam o Sshnter saw
the witches dance. The peots father William
Burns is buried in the graveyard.
Landranger 70 ref 332180
The Norman church in Symington is amongst the oldest in Scotland and
is certainly one of the most beautiful.
The church was founded in 1160AD by Symon Loccard, a local
landowner who owned land in both Ayrshire and Lanarkshire. It is
understood that the village and parish derived its name (originally
"Symonstown") from him.
Landranger 70 ref 384314
Ayr old bridge
Ayr auld brig 1470 for many centuries
this was the only crossing of the river
Ayr and was saved from demolition by
James Morris in 1901. The bridge has
four rubble arches fronted by large
cutwaters and features in the Burns peom
The Brigs of Ayr.
Ardrossan Castle Built in the 15th century
by the Montgomery family.The castle
was destroyed by Cromwell and the
stones used to construct the citadel in
Langranger 63 ref 233423
Ardrossan castle
Auchinleck house
A little way outside Auchinleck lies
Auchinleck House, family home of a man
variously regarded as either a dissolute or
as one of Britain's greatest diarists -
James Boswell. After their tour of the
Highlands, Boswell took his friend Dr
Johnson to Auchinleck House. Boswell's
father, Lord Auchinleck and Johnson did
not get on!
Landranger 70 ref 507230
Drumlanrig Castle, ancient Douglas
stronghold and Dumfriesshire home of
the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry.
Surrounded by the 120,000 acre
Queensberry Estate, Country Park and
grand victorian gardens.
. Drumlanrig Castle was completed in 1691 by William Douglas, 1st Duke of Queensberry and is
one of the first and most important renaissance buildings in the grand manner in Scotland
Landranger map 78 ref 852993
The station and pier are perhaps the most famous
landmarks in Wemyss Bay and their history
stretches back to the 19th Century. The Wemyss
Bay line was opened in 1865 after a group of
labourers, mainly Irish, worked to take the line
through the hills to Wemyss Bay.
Home OffRoad Road Photos Walks