Places of interest
Previous
Click to view web info on Loudoun Castle and Kirk
Loudoun Kirk, Galston
Loudoun Kirk is the traditional burial place of the Campbells of
Loudoun.  It was founded in 1415 by Alicia in memory of her
husband Sir John Campbell of Loudoun.
Landranger 70 ref 493374
Kirk of Muirkirk click for web site
In 1787, the first ironworks in Ayrshire
was set up in
Muirkirk by James Ewing
& Co. When at its peak, the works
employed in the order of 1,000 people.
Production at the works ceased in 1923,
although the exact reason is uncertain.
Dunaskin Open Air Museum NOW CLOSED at
Waterside is set in a 110 acre site amidst the
picturesque scenery of the Doon Valley. The
site was originally an ironworks, built around
1850, and today it tells the story of the
ironworks, coal mining and brickworks at
Dunaskin through the eyes of the people who
lived and worked there.
Landranger 70 ref 440103
Windy Standard Wind Farm became
operational in November 1996 and is
Scotland's second largest wind farm. It
consists of 36 wind turbines each of 600
kilowatts (kW)  The wind farm has a
combined maximum power of 21.6
megawatts (MW).
Windy Standard wind farm
Machrie stone circle on Arran
On Machrie moor is a complex of stone
circles, standing stones, cairns and hut
circles which makes it one of the most
interesting and remarkable archaeological
sites in Scotland. It is well worth the
short walk to visit the site at any time of
year. Landranger 69 ref 910324
Barnweil monument near Tarbolton
Barnweil monument
Located on a hill top to the North of Ayr,
William Wallace stood at this point due one
of his many battles with the English. On
this instance he had trapped some of the
English Army in Ayr and all the barns in the
surrounding area were set on fire,
encircling the enemy. Landranger 70 ref
406295
Beith Auld Kirk
Beith Auld Kirk  Monks built a church or
chapel dedicated to St Inan  now known
as `The Auld Kirk'. Prior to the
reformation the Abbot and Chapter of
Kilwinning feued out the lands of the
barony of Beith for small feuduties and
these passed to Hugh, Fifth Earl of
Eglinton.
Greenan castle just south of Ayr
Greenan castle
Dramatically situated on a coastal cliff south of Ayr is the ruins
of Greenan Tower. Built by John Kennedy of Baltersan in 1603
on the site of an earlier castle by the Davidson family.
Landranger 70 ref 312193
Previous
Home OffRoad Road Photos Walks